Friday, October 26, 2012

BOOK SWAP: Susan to Sunny - "Dark Lover" by J.R. Ward

SUMMARY:
In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.
 
The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.


>SUSAN

WHY I RECOMMENDED IT:
Sunny's had this on her TBR list forever and I know she's a PNR fan to some degree.  The Black Dagger Brotherhood series is a must read and so incredibly addictive.  Book 1 remains one of my favorites of the series. I love Wrath and the introduction to all the brotherhood characters. The hit-or-miss in each of the books, in my opinion, are the female leads.  But, Beth is a studette and I'm all about her being with the King. I have a feeling Sunny will love it!

>SUNNY

REVIEW:
I'm a little late to this party, but on purpose. When I originally saw how many books there are in this series, and until I could work out my "drive" (compulsion, obsession) to finish a series at any cost (like hours and hours of sleep), I thought I would hold off on the Black Dagger Brotherhood series until I could find the time and inclination.  I know this series is a "must read" for PNR fans and you can't actually go to a PNR discussion group without hear a mention of BDB.

Still, I held out an entire year before breaking this baby open with the book swap.  My first thought?  What in the world have I been waiting for?


There are million and one great things about this book but let's start with the most obvious:  WRATH. 


Really, intimidation is his middle name and people tremble when he comes into the room. He is as alpha as they come: controlling, demanding, stoic, and possesses an abundance of "sweet" after the "fall".  What stands out about Wrath is the amount of vulnerability Ms. Ward writes into him.  From his first attempt to try to take Beth out on a date to his first try at a smile, there is a sweet child-like quality about him that is endearing:  


"He tried out a smile.  Widened it.  His cheeks felt like they were going to crack."  


When he finally decides to give himself over to Beth, it is heart-felt, and the vulnerability leaps off the page: 


"On the slow float back to earth, he realized it was the first time anyone had ever taken such care to pleasure him.  He wanted to weep that she would still have him at all."


I love paranormal romance, but I don't often think of these characters as real people.  But sometimes the dialogue is so sweet and compelling, you can only imagine these worlds being spoken by the ones most in love: 


"Your language is beautiful," she said. 

"There are no words worthy of you." 

So swoon-worthy. 


IN A NUTSHELL:

Published in 2005, it is still a must read if you are a PNR fan. 



No comments:

Post a Comment