Sunday, November 17, 2013

SUNNY: BOOK REVIEW "Angels' Blood" by Nalini Singh



SUMMARY:
Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best- but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention, Elena knows failure is not an option—even if the task is impossible.

Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to track. It's an archangel gone bad.

The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other—and pull her to the razor's edge of passion. Even if the hunt does not destroy her, succumbing to Raphael’s seductive touch just might. For when archangels play, mortals break.

REVIEW
It's been awhile since I've been enthralled by a book.  I enjoy a lot of books, but this one held me for a few reasons:

1.  There are moments where I absolutely despised the main protagonist, Raphael.   It took me a long time to like him because he is such a bully through the first part of the book.  I get it, he's an archangel and they are powerful and arrogant.  Yes, but he doesn't have to be such an ass-hat.  Thank goodness he starts to show some of his redeemable features by the half-way mark of the book. 

Having said that, looking back, I appreciate that Raphael is not the perfect alpha hero and that he is both unlikeable and loveable.  I realize now that that is what keeps him interesting. 

2. I love the interplay between the characters.  As tough as Raphael is, Elena is also strong. Her orneriness serves her well against the imbalanced power dynamic between her and Raphael. I also call the relationship between the two as smoldering, and smoldering is something I noticed Nalini Singh does very well here and in her Psy-changeling series. Relationships are left to stew and then boil-over. 

3.  I love the supporting characters as well.  They are loyal and fun.  I'd love to see more of Sara and Ransom because we only get hints of their sure-to-be interesting histories.  

4.  This story also really takes off when it features the archangels, angels, and vampires. It is exciting and intense and I the final showdown is epic.

5. It would be so easy for me to hit that "one-click" button and get the next book in the series, but I think I will stew on this one awhile and enjoy all the rich flavors. 

IN A NUTSHELL:  
Unlike some first books in a series, this story soars and satisfies and leaves me yearning for more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment