Thursday, August 8, 2013

SUSAN: BOOK REVIEW "Whiskey and Wry" by Rhys Ford


SUMMARY:
He was dead. And it was murder most foul. If erasing a man’s existence could even be called murder.

When Damien Mitchell wakes, he finds himself without a life or a name. The Montana asylum’s doctors tell him he’s delusional and his memories are all lies: he’s really Stephen Thompson, and he’d gone over the edge, obsessing about a rock star who died in a fiery crash. His chance to escape back to his own life comes when his prison burns, but a gunman is waiting for him, determined that neither Stephen Thompson nor Damien Mitchell will escape.

With the assassin on his tail, Damien flees to the City by the Bay, but keeping a low profile is the only way he’ll survive as he searches San Francisco for his best friend, Miki St. John. Falling back on what kept him fed before he made it big, Damien sings for his supper outside Finnegan’s, an Irish pub on the pier, and he soon falls in with the owner, Sionn Murphy. Damien doesn’t need a complication like Sionn, and to make matters worse, the gunman—who doesn’t mind going through Sionn or anyone else if that’s what it takes kill Damien—shows up to finish what he started.


REVIEW:
You know what I really like about Rhys Ford books? I know what I’m going to get. Great MC’s (usually 1 really likable and 1 that takes some warming to), tons of side characters (like, A LOT), a zany mystery (that usually is impossible to guess because it comes from left field – but the answer is always the least important part of the book!), hot sex, and a sprinkling of melt-your-heart tenderness. 

You get all that in Whiskey & Wry…but this one…THIS ONE? This one does it BEST. Everything that I like about Ford’s books, I liked even more. Every couple that I grew to love in Ford’s books, this couple I loved even more. Every dark and evil twist that threw me in Ford’s books, was darker and eviler and threw me even more. 

I LOVED IT. 

I so so so liked Miki and Kane in Sinner’s Gin (book 1 of the series). But Damian and Sionn are officially my favorite Ford couple. Damien is Miki, but less grouchy. Sionn is Kane, but less perfect. Together they are surprisingly sweet, very hot, and their love is the kind that saves each other. *big smile*

But what kinda sets this book apart most is *shudder*…Parker. Oh, wait till ya’ll meet Parker. THIS GUY SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!!!!! That is one messed-up mo’fo. Yuck. (and written so so well!)

My one 1 tiny tiny little niggle…and this is hardly the author’s fault…is…well you guys know…grey shirt cover guy! I can’t let him be Sionn in my mind if he’s gonna be 100 other MC’s in my coming books! GAH!!!! So disappointed. I need to scrub my brain of his image and think of someone else. (But that Damien? Spot on…and so yummy!)

I would not recommend this book as a standalone…which is a good thing, because Sinner’s Gin is also a great read! Enjoy them both! 


IN A NUTSHELL:
Great characters, great villain, great storyline, great smut, great book...

1 comment:

  1. Smooches and thank you. I swear, when I chose him a long time ago, he was perfectly safe. And damn it, in my mind, everyone borrowed him from me :D

    Ah, Parker. Love Parker. *pets* He's like my special kitten. Thank you honey. Muchly.

    ReplyDelete