Tuesday, September 11, 2012

SUNNY: BOOK REVIEW "Seduction and Snacks" by Tara Sivec


CHARACTERS: 
Carter, Claire, Liz, Jim, Jenny and Drew

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):

Claire is a twenty-something, single mom that grudgingly helps her best friend sell sex toys while she attempts to make enough money to start her own business to give her foul-mouthed, but extremely loveable (when he’s asleep) toddler a better life. 

When Carter, the one-night-stand from her past that changed her life forever, shows up in her hometown bar without any recollection of her besides her unique chocolate scent, Claire will make it a point that he remembers her this time. 

With Carter’s undisguised shock at suddenly finding out he has a four-year-old son and Claire’s panic that her stretch marks and slim to none bedroom experience will send the man of her dreams heading for the hills, the pair will do whatever they can to get their happily ever after.


REVIEW:
I was intrigued by this book because of the buzz it was getting on Goodreads. I didn’t know what it was about, I just knew that people were talking about it. I love stories about food - Like Water for Chocolate and Eat, Drink, Man, Woman are some of my favorites. Food is sensual. Food can be erotic. 

So, I was a little surprised at what this story is really about best explained by the chapter headings: 
1. Arby’s Anyone?
2. Beer Pong May Cause Pregnancy
3. Have You Seen This Sperm Donor?
4. Sex and Chocolate
5. Snickers Finger Arm Teeth
6. I Got A Big Wiener 

and so on.....

This is the story about a young girl (virgin), Claire, who has a one-night stand at a frat party with a boy, Carter, with whom she has an instant connection. She gets pregnant only to realize she doesn’t even know his name; has the baby; gives up her college career; is given a second chance by her bestfriend to fulfill her dreams; and coincidentally meets up with the baby daddy years later. And it is perfect. For a tough subject, the story is surprisingly poignant. It is genuine and genuinely funny. Most the humor comes from a good old, time-honored place, out of the mouths of babes. Actually it comes from Claire’s four year old toddler, Gavin. With lines like: “Hey, I forgot your name. Can I call you dog poop?” and “Hey, Mommy, Carter has a HUGE wiener,” the laughs come out loud. I still have a stitch in my side from the discussion about “Barney Boner.” 

Balanced with the humor is the story of two people finding and discovering each other as adults. The strong mutual attraction between Claire and Carter, the insecurities of being a single mom and dating a single mom, the challenge of being thrust into parenthood and integrating into a family, are gracefully written by Tara Sivec. And it was just so darn funny. Did I mention that already? 

But what really hooked me were the references to the movies Heathers and The Legend of Billy Jean. Any author who can weave those references into a story, gets me and gets my respect. 

IN A NUTSHELL: 

I love this story. It is sweet (and not just in reference to the title). It is fun and it is highly recommendable.

No comments:

Post a Comment