Monday, March 10, 2014

SUSAN: BOOK REVIEW "We Won't Feel A Thing" by JC Lillis


SUMMARY:
Seventeen-year-old best friends Rachel and Riley are in forbidden love. 

Their situation’s. . .complicated. And their timing couldn’t be worse—in just one month, he leaves for California and she starts college in New York. The absolute last thing they need is a reckless secret-love confession mucking up their perfect plans.

There’s only one logical option: scientific intervention.

Desperate for a quick fix, they sign up for WAVES, an experimental self-help program led by mysterious scientist David A. Kerning. He swears his Forbidden Love Module can turn passion back to safe platonic friendship in “six easy steps.” 

But when you arm yourself with an untested program, side effects are unpredictable. 

And sometimes when you fight love—love fights back.


REVIEW:
Ok...so I waited a bit to write this review...1)because I read it pre-release and 2)because I wanted to read it AGAIN before I put my thoughts down. I very rarely reread books...but this one has SO MUCH to absorb that it's easy to not even appreciate all the goodness big and small in it with only one read.

Now before I tell you about the story, I also want to address that yes, this is technically a M/F YA book. And for those of you who LOVED JC Lillis' How to Repair a Mechanical Heart, loved her quirky voice, and were waiting for her follow-up...do NOT be disappointed! You see, and this may sound odd, but Rachel & Riley, the MC's in this book are almost...asexual?...no that's not it...androgynous?...no. Well, it's just that this could just as easily have been 2 guys, or 2 girls, or 2 anything...because the identity of each character is less important than WHAT THEY MAKE when they're together. 

Rachel & Riley are the BEST OF FRIENDS. They are 2 peas in a pod...almost literally...as Rachel was taken in by Riley's parents and she lived with them and grew up with them. They are hilarious: Riley (my dear, dear, young man...I adore him) is an artist. And Rachel (I want to be like her when I grow up!) is grammartist...(not a word, huh?)...well, she copy edits and proofs things and loves it! :) Their friendship is so special and so intertwined and so funny and fun and lovely. 

And then the truth comes out...they're in LOVE. *gasp* Without giving away the story, they go to a crazy hippy new-agey type thing and then run into a mad scientist who ensures them he can CURE them of this love! It sounds OUTRAGEOUS AND ZANY AND WILD...and IT IS! But in that enchanting, delightful way. Their attempts to change their feelings are in and of themselves emotionally powerful (as well as funny!). But what these attempts reveal is where the true and deepest of emotions are felt. 

I love these characters for their simple, yet complicated feelings. And I love them for being odd and eccentric and endearing. I love this story for taking me on a journey w/ the best-of-friends and watching them deal with their love and devotion for one another. And I love this author for being so AWESOME and just tapping into the joy of being silly and unconventional and wacky and caring so much about another person and finding a great partnership in that. 

I say this a lot about books that I love...this one won't be for everyone. It's kinda oddball. It reminds me of old sitcoms like The Monkees that are just...out there. But, I enjoyed it so so much and I can't recommend it enough for those who want to laugh, cry, feel, and who want to do those things to the beat of a different drum.


IN A NUTSHELL:  
This book is AWESOMENESS on page...!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment